Third International Conference on Financing for Development to Mobilize and Channel Resources for Sustainable Development
13-16 July 2015, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
According to the UN Information Center (UNIC), the Conference will gather high-level political representatives, including Heads of State and Government, and Ministers of Finance, Foreign Affairs and Development Cooperation, as well as all relevant institutional stakeholders, non-governmental organizations and business sector entities.
The Conference will result in an intergovernmental negotiated and agreed outcome, which should constitute an important contribution to and support the implementation of the post-2015 development agenda.
The scope of the Conference is set out in General Assembly resolutions 68/204 and 68/279, and will focus on:
1. Assessing the progress made in the implementation of the Monterrey Consensus and the Doha Declaration and identifying obstacles and constraints encountered in the achievement of the goals and objectives agreed therein, as well as actions and initiatives to overcome these constraints;
2. Addressing new and emerging issues, including in the context of the recent multilateral efforts to promote international development cooperation;
-the current evolving development cooperation landscape;
-the interrelationship of all sources of development finance;
-the synergies between financing objectives across the three dimensions of sustainable development; and
-the need to support the United Nations development agenda beyond 2015;
3. Reinvigorating and strengthening the financing for development follow-up process.
The intergovernmental preparatory process of the Conference was launched on 17 October 2014. It includes a series of substantive informal sessions and informal interactive hearings with civil society and the business sector through March 2015, as well as drafting sessions on the outcome document in January, April and June 2015.
WHAT: World leaders will gather at the Third International Conference on Financing for Development in Addis Ababa from 13-16 July to launch a renewed and strengthened global partnership for financing people-centered sustainable development.
The Conference will look at all sources of finance for sustainable development to ensure that resources go where they are needed most to promote economic prosperity and improve health, education and employment opportunities while protecting the environment.
The outcome of the Conference will be an important milestone on the road toward the adoption of a new sustainable development agenda in September and a universal climate change agreement at the Paris Climate Conference in December. The Conference will lay the groundwork for the world to invest ahead, for people and planet.
In addition to the official programme, including plenary meetings and roundtable discussions, the Conference will feature international civil society and business forums, as well as more than 200 side events.
- Mr. Ban Ki-moon, United Nations Secretary-General
- Mr. Wu Hongbo, UN Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs, and Conference
- Mr. Gyan Chandra Acharya, UN Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States
- Ms. Amina J. Mohammed, UN Special Advisor of the Secretary-General on Post-2015 Development Planning
- H.E. Mr. Hailemariam Desalegn, Prime Minister of Ethiopia
- Mr. Jim Yong Kim, President, World Bank Group
- Ms. Christine Lagarde, Managing Director, International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Mr. Roberto Azevêdo, Director-General, World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Mr. Mukhisa Kituyi, Secretary-General, UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
- Ms. Helen Clark, Administrator, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- More than 50 Heads of State and Government
- More than 100 Ministers of Finance, Foreign Affairs, Development Cooperation
- More than 1,000 high-level representatives from civil society and the business sector
WHEN: 13 – 16 July 2015
WHERE: United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), UN Conference Centre, Addis Ababa (UNCC-AA), Ethiopia
WHY: Decisions taken in 2015 can set the world on a course of action to end poverty, promote prosperity and protect the planet. The Conference on Financing for Development is centred on mobilizing the means to make a difference in people’s lives. Through greater cooperation and partnership, countries will look at how they can mobilize all possible sources of financing, including domestic and international, public and private, and ensure that they are channeled for sustainable development. The resources are there – but significant changes in current policy, financing and investment patterns will be required to deliver the future we want.
Media accreditation is strictly reserved for members of the press – print, photo, radio, TV, film, news agencies and online media who represent a bona fide media organization. No double accreditation is allowed (e.g. as press and delegate or as press and NGO). The deadline to apply for media accreditation is 30 June 2015.
National and foreign correspondents based in Ethiopia can obtain further information on the registration and accreditation process by contacting Ms. Sophia Denekew, Media Relations Section, ECA, T: +251-91197696 / E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Journalists arriving from outside Ethiopia are required to complete the following steps:
- 1. Submit an application on the UN accreditation system by filling out the personal information form. The form is available at: http://www.un.org/en/media/accreditation/form.
- 2. Send a letter of assignment on official letterhead of a media organisation signed by the Publisher, Editor-in- chief or Assignment Editor indicating the name and duration of assignment of the journalist who will cover the conference (along with his or her contact information). The letter should be addressed to the Media Accreditation Unit and sent, once signed and scanned (PDF format), to email@example.com or fax +1 212 963-4642.
- 3. Send a digital passport photo (JPEG format), clearly indicating applicant’s name, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4. When your application is approved, a confirmation will be sent to you by e-m Bring a printout of this confirmation email and your assignment letter to the Accreditation Centre in the Millennium Hall, Bole sub-city, Woreda 3, Addis Ababa. Passes must be picked up in person, by presenting two forms of official ID, including a valid passport.
Please note that a visa is required for entry into Ethiopia. For more information about how to apply for a visa, please refer to: http://www.un.org/en/media/accreditation/FFD3.shtml.
Press conferences: An updated schedule of press events and briefings at the UN Conference Center in Addis Ababa will be available at www.un.org/ffd3. There will be a press conference room, media center and small interview room available at the conference facility. A press conference schedule will be shared at the media desk at the Conference Center and will be sent to registered media in advance. Use of the interview room can be scheduled through Claire Anholt at email@example.com.
Press releases: Press releases will be issued daily from the conference and shared via e-mail.
Website: The latest Conference programme, speakers and supporting documents will be posted and updated at www.un.org/ffd3. Other resources and the latest Conference news will be also available at www.un.org/action2015.
Webcast: Plenaries, round tables and press briefings will be webcast, live and on-demand, at http://webtv.un.org.
Broadcast: UNTV will cover the Conference live between 13-16 July. TV packages will be available to broadcasters through Unifeed at www.unmultimedia.org/tv/unifeed/. These packages are also distributed twice daily through APTN. Broadcast quality video files can be requested from video- firstname.lastname@example.org. UN Radio will also cover the conference and will be filing daily news stories in a number of UN languages. These can be accessed at www.unmultimedia.org/radio/.
Multimedia: Selected photographs of the Forum will be available from UN Photo online, along with other multimedia materials, at www.unmultimedia.org. Key photos from the conference will be shared through UN social media accounts in real-time. Additional photos and high-resolution files can be obtained by contacting the UN Photo Library at email@example.com. Social media hashtags: #FFD3 and #action2015